This spring professionals of Ukrainian and Russian restaurant market spent one week in New York, where they became acquainted with the new gastronomic trends, visited the most significant places in Manhattan and Brooklyn and finally estimated the most conceptual restaurants in the city. In addition in the framework of the program organized by Food&Success and Gastroly companies, experts had a series of meetings, lectures and workshops with key players in hospitality and restaurant industry of US.
- Welcome cocktail in Ides rooftop bar of legendary Wythe Hotel, art object created by Andrew Tarlow. Due to its amazing panoramic view Ides became popular not only with people from the neighborhood, but foreigners too.
24th May (Thursday)
- The history about hotel from one of its owners Peter Lawrence. Talking about the history of the hotel, as well as its role in the revival of Williamsburg district. Discussing partnership, project marketing, which does not exist in the reservation system at all. Also discussing bar and special gastronomy culture in the Lecture of Mark Liu, designer, internet marketing manager and digital analyst on Gourmet Marketing. Talking about social networks in the restaurant marketing. Advices and recommendations to participants.
- The first gastronomical stay – restaurant-pizzeria Roberta’s. Venue is located in an old industrial building and was founded by two musicians. Today Roberta’s is one of the most successful pizzeria in the city. Respect for the quality of the products, cosy interior with its garden in the back yard – this is formula of success for Roberta’s Pizza.
- Brooklyn Kings County Distillery is one of the oldest in New York. Today, Kings County Distillery produces a bourbon and whiskey, and its products have received a lot of awards at many prestigious competitions.
- Peter Luger. For the last 120 years this venue remains one of the main steak houses in New York. This is a right place for lovers of huge chunks of roasted and fragrant meat. This legendary steak house has classic design and it is always packed to capacity – after all this is the meat legend since 1887!
- Visiting Brooklyn Bridge, trip according to the concept: restaurant of Peruvian cuisine Llama Inn; Maison Premier – Synergy of French and American gastronomy. Restaurant is also famous due to its oyster and cocktail bar. Manu was event awarded by James Beard foundation.
25th May (Wednesday)
- Breakfast and meeting with Steven Satten in his coffee house Devotion. This project does include coffee house, coworking space, grain delivery department and roasting room. Devotion is one of the best 20 roasters and coffee houses in Having been originated from Colombia Steven helps farmers from his motherland in all phases of coffee production and its promotion in New York. Thus he seeks the ways how “to switch off” the Colombian producers of marijuana and change forever the social status of his home country.
- Visiting Mast Brothers и Blue Bottle Coffee. Paradise for chocolate fans. The company was established in 2007 by two brothers. Here you can also find shops and bar. Blue Bottle Coffee is a small chain of coffee houses, which is considered to be one of the best in New York.
- Meeting with owner of Duet family restaurant Dmitry Rodov. Dmitry is talking about restaurant business in New York, also shares his experience of launching new venues in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
- Visiting High Line Park
- Meeting followed by a master class from bar manager Employees Only. The bar was open in 2004 by four friends and just in 10 years the venue was included into top-50 best bars of the world, occupies the 4th position in the list.
- Individual concept tour
- The monoproduct restaurant, where the main course is Peking duck. Joe Ng is the chef of Decoy, he is also the author of the best dim sum in New York. The father of this concept is Ed Shoenfeld – the real connoisseur of culinary and Chinese cuisine. He also was engaged with Redfarm project.
26th May (Thursday)
- Conference hall of Ace Hotel. Lecture on trends in restaurant business, bar business and catering from Igor Zhukovich, founder of Alchemiq Catering. Talking about tendencies in restaurants’ launching, local peculiarities of districts, rent cost and fee for staff, catering in New York and finally new direction – bar catering for corporate clients.
- Lecture-meeting with Nir Mesika, chef and owner of trendy restaurant Timna – concept of the Central Asian and the modern Israeli cuisine. Menu includes Mediterranean cuisine with culinary elements of the Middle East and North African gastronomic Timna is recognized as one of the most successful Israeli restaurants in New York. Nir is talking about tendencies and developing of Israeli cuisine in New York City and how it will look like in the future.
- Burgers in Shake Shack at Madison Square. The first fast food point from the famous restaurateur Dani Mayer.
- KatzDeli– the famous place with the best pastrami In New York.
- Tour according to the different concepts: meat, seafood, Pan Asia
- Cocktail in POD 39 Rooftop, that is located on the roof of POD hotel. This bar is considered to be one of the best in New York (because of its panoramic view). POD Hotel is an innovative capsule hotel. On the first floor there is a new Mexican restaurant t The owner is Michelin star chef April Bloomfield. She offers her guests traditional Mexican cuisine and fusion as well.
- Meeting in Burger & Lobster with Vladimir Borodin, managing partner of Mikhail Zelman in USA. Discussing the management features of the restaurant business in the US, investments and the prospects of launching new restaurant in New York – from “A” to “Z”.
- Cocktail in Rooftop Bar 230 – venue with breathtaking view of Manhattan.
27th May (Friday)
- Meeting and breakfast with Carlos Suarez, owner of Rosmary’s restaurant with its own garden on the roof. This is a trendy project of Italian trattoria, where the garden is the main marketing instrument and products’ supplier at the same time.
- Business lunch and presentation of dinner menu in Betony restaurant, successful project of Andrey Dellos, who received Michelin star in 2014. Betony offers dishes of modern American cuisine relying on the quality and originality of their performance. Discussing: «How to launch successful restaurant project and receive Michelin star in the highly competitive New York market». Betony is the result of effective tandem of chef Bruce Shuman and manager Eamon Rockey. Master class on operational management and restaurant management in conjunction with the chief manager.
- Vandal Restaurant. This club-restaurant is a synergy of two formats on one location. The owner and chef is Chris Santos. The space is decorated with works of street artists Steven Fairey and The venue offers diverse cuisine – from the chicken in chocolate sauce and Thai papaya salad with the pizza of different variations.
- Bar trip with Dmitry Levitsky, visiting Sleepnomore theater show
28th May (Saturday)
- Chelsea Market is the art space where art is closely integrated into the environment. The place is located in the territory of Nabisco the old factory well-known with Oreo cookies production. Today Chelsea Market is one of the sacred sites for foodies from all over the world.
- Visiting foodstreet at Smorgasburg market, where at one location amateurs and professional restaurateurs present their cuisine. Location is attractive by the fact that here you can find the most unexpected combinations of flavors, as well as innovative products. Market was opened in 2011 as culinary addition to the flea market. Smorgasburg is the place where trends come into the restaurant world.
- Flea markets and restaurant conceptions of Brooklyn
- Dinner in Fette Sau – place with delicious smoked meat and craft beer. This self-service restaurant is located in the former garage. All the meat comes from organic farms.
- Closing cocktail in The Campbell Apartment bar at the central train station. Place with chic interiors in the style of jazz age previously served as private office of railway station’s Head. But the restaurant is famous not only for its unique atmosphere, but the great cocktail list too.